Ethan A. Huff
Tuesday, February 9th, 2010
A British man who had never before had an allergic reaction in his life almost died on Christmas Day after using a popular deodorant spray called Lynx. After spraying himself with it, Darren Palmer began to develop an itchy rash that quickly developed into anaphylactic shock which left him unconscious.
Palmer indicated that he had used this brand of deodorant before without any problems, however the product that almost killed him was from a new line called “Fever” which may have had new, unknown chemicals in it that caused a severe reaction. After his initial reaction, Palmer immediately tried to take a shower to get the product off his body. When he realized that the reaction was only getting worse, he panicked and tried to get out of the shower but collapsed in the bathtub.
The spray caused Palmer’s throat and windpipe to swell, rendering him unable to breathe. According to paramedics, he would have died were it not for the quick response of his wife, Joanne, who immediately called for help upon discovering her husband unconscious.
The paramedics arrived in time to administer adrenaline and oxygen which helped Palmer to begin breathing again. He was rushed to the hospital where he eventually recovered, but experts have been unable to figure out exactly what triggered the reaction.
Interestingly, Palmer makes a living as a motorway maintenance worker where he deals with chemical sprays all the time. He explained to reporters that he had never had any sort of allergic reaction from the chemicals he works with nor with any food products.
Public health officials were also at a loss for providing any sort of explanation, indicating that it is rare for a person to suffer anaphylactic shock after spraying themselves with deodorant. Nevertheless, the armpits are a sensitive area where a quick reaction from an allergen is likely to have the worst effect.
Spokesmen from Lynx expressed regret about the situation, explaining that they plan to investigate the situation further. According to the company, Lynx’s “Fever” line of deodorants were tested more rigorously than all their other products.
Many spray deodorants are filled with potentially toxic substances, some of which can lead to cancer. Since these things are going to end up in your body, it is important to seek out brands that do not use toxic chemicals in their formulas and research all the ingredients before making a decision.
Sources for this story include: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art…