Rumas

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a list of common chemicals found in fabric softener and their effects.
Good thing we have been using "Natura Static Free" antistatic cloth for awhile now.
Home Hardware sells them, but they are on Amazon here:
Amazon.com: Natura Static-Free Reusable Dryer Sheets - Chemical Free: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31SEB9RCPSL.@@AMEPARAM@@31SEB9RCPSL

Camphor—On EPA's Hazardous Waste List. "readily absorbed through the body tissues"…"irritation of eyes, skin, nose and throat"…"dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions"…"avoid inhalation of vapors".​

Chloroform--- “probable human carcinogen. Inhalation and ingestion are harmful and may be fatal. May cause reproductive damage. Irritant.”… “ may cause dermatitis”.​

Ethyl Acetate—Narcotic. "may cause headache and narcosis"..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and kidneys"…"wash thoroughly after handling".​

Limonene—Carcinogenic. "prevent its' contact with skin or eyes because it is an irritant and sensitizer"…"always wash thoroughly after using this material and before eating or drinking"…"do not inhale limonene vapor".​

Linalool—Narcotic. "respiratory disturbances"…"in animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous motor activity and depression...depressed heart activity...development of respiratory disturbances leading to death".​

Pentane—"danger—harmful if inhaled…avoid breathing vapor"…"inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness. Prolonged exposure can cause dermatitis".​

WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
AVOID fabric softeners that contain benzyl acetate, formaldehyde, camphor, chloroform, ethyl acetate, pentane, linalool and limonene. FIND fabric softeners made with natural ingredients not toxic chemicals.​

HEALTHY TIPS:
ADD baking soda to your rinse cycle.​

VINEGAR is a natural fabric softener - add ½ cup to your wash cycle.​

WASH and dry cottons and synthetic fabrics separately.​

SYNTHETIC fabrics contribute to static cling so consider not using your dryer for nylon, rayon and other synthetic fabrics.​

day

good post! I have been using apple cider vinegar for everything, washing floors and for our clothes and have noticed it not only cleans the objects but also the energy! its great a few tablespoons in the bath!

Lady of Light

Administrator
Just to step off the topic, but, I noticed the synchronicity of the date and time of the above post: 1-19 at 1:19

Back to the point, after reading the first post, I have started cleaning my bathtub with baking soda and it works great! And, I no longer have to worry if I didn't rinse it thoroughly enough because there are no harsh chemicals to irritate and harm the body. I feel better about my kids' health now when I bathe them.