Flower Pot Fridge!

100th Monkey

"The world's cheapest and easiest refrigerator to make, it uses minimal resources and runs completely without electricity. It's called a zeer pot, or the pot-in-pot and was rebirthed by Mohammed Bah Abba, who put the laws of thermodynamics to work for mankind.

The zeer pot, is just two simple pots, one pot smaller than the other.
The smaller pot is put inside the bigger pot, and we fill the space between with sand. We wet the sand twice a day and cover the top with a wet towell to keep warm air from entering the interior.

Things You'll Need:
Two clay (terracotta) pots, one larger than the other
Sand
Water
Cloth to cover the pots
Clay, cork or other material to plug holes in the pots"

tell me more

What is it about the Terra Cotta pots that make this work so well? Why couldn't you use other kinds of pots? Also, why sand and not rocks or dirt? What is the scientific basis for this working?

I mean, it's really cool and all, but what if you don't have all the pieces necessary to make this exactly this way? Would it still work using other things that are at least somewhat similar. I don't have all these items, but I have some of them, and I can't afford to go buy them either. So would other items work?

I guess if these are the best items to use, I'll just have to save up some money to try it. Hey, if it can save me money living in a small apartment, maybe I can have a bunch of them, eventually, and really start to save money on my electricity bill. It'll be interesting to see. God knows I could sure stand to save money.

100th Monkey

My suggestion to you would be to try it out, make 3 or 4 pots fridges in 3 different way and measure the temperature with a thermometer...report back with you results.

SUNGAZER

My suggestion to you would be to try it out, make 3 or 4 pots fridges in 3 different way and measure the temperature with a thermometer...report back with you results.

Great suggestion Monkey. If stuff like this works well, we should all give it a try.