Another man claims he was assaulted by the same Kelowna, B.C., RCMP officer who allegedly kicked a suspect in the face on Jan. 7.

Jeremy Packer, 30, said he was left with scrapes, bruises and a black eye after Const. Geoff Mantler allegedly assaulted him in the summer of 2010.

Mantler made national headlines in early January after a video appeared to show him kicking Kelowna golf course employee Buddy Tavares during an arrest. The video was shot by a bystander across the street from the incident.

Officers with the Abbotsford Police Department, which is investigating Mantler in connection with the incident, have recommended the B.C. Crown proceed with charges.

Packer claims Mantler assaulted him in August 2010.

"It was one cop that just kept on punching me. He kept on punching me in the face," said Packer.
RCMP investigating complaint

Packer was towing a boat he had just repossessed in Kelowna for his company when police officers stopped him, believing the boat was stolen. Packer said officers, with guns drawn, ordered him out of his truck. He claims one officer started punching him when his seatbelt became stuck and he could not immediately comply with the order..

"I was like, whoa, can you stop? I had pretty well given myself up and he kept on telling me not to run and I'm like, 'I'm not running, you guys have me on the ground,'" Packer said. "This guy's a little aggressive, I think, especially when people are surrendering themselves."

Packer filed a formal complaint several weeks later, and said he recently received a letter back from the RCMP in response to his complaint saying the officer involved was Mantler.

RCMP spokesperson Annie Linteau said action is being taken on Packer's complaint.

"We received the complaint three months after the incident actually happened. Upon receiving the complaint, we did initiate an investigation, and that investigation is ongoing.

Linteau wouldn't say if the investigation into Packer's complaint is an internal investigation or a criminal one.

Mantler joined the Kelowna detachment in July 2007 immediately after graduating from the force's training academy. The officer has been suspended with pay pending the completion of the investigation into the Tavares incident.