[Must See!] Giant squid filmed in Pacific depths, Japan scientists report

2loserel3

Giant squid filmed in Pacific depths, Japan scientists report

by Shingo Ito

Impressive sight. Wonder what else lies beneath where man hasn't the technology to get to, yet?

Screen grab from footage captured by NHK and Discovery Channel taken in July 2012 shows a giant squid in the sea near Chichi island. The squid was spotted at a depth of 630 meters using a submersible in July, some 15 km east of Chichi island in the north Pacific Ocean.

Read more at: Giant squid filmed in Pacific depths, Japan scientists report

Lady of Light

Administrator
This is one of those topics that has always fascinated me. Maybe because I always knew they did indeed exist even though they were said not to and that they were legend and/or myth.

One thing that I have to comment on though,

The giant squid, “Architeuthis” to scientists, is sometimes described as one of the last mysteries of the ocean, being part of a world so hostile to humans that it has been little explored.

A little arrogant, and those kinds of statements have ALWAYS bothered me. There is so much we don't know about our oceans, and there are SOOOOO many creatures that remain to be discovered, and they say one of the last? Really? Assumptions based on observation and arrogance.

Anyhow, if the footage is real of the squid and not made up for ratings (sorry, but over the years I've become a bit skeptical :) ), this is a wonderful discovery and I will be looking forward to seeing more on this. :) It's a GREAT find 2loserel3!! Thanks! :)

2loserel3

Thank you. :) I know I agree, as with space there's alot we don't know.

We had that one explorer recently (I forgot his name) i think he went around to the Mariannas trench dived down in a specially made vehicle to withstand the pressure, to the depths of that area and found nothing but a few fish. Maybe, he wasn't there at right time, or in the right vacinity.

Will try to remember to check back from time to time and see what else they come up with. :) I see the headline has been removed from Drudge. What's up with that do you suppose?

Last edited: